Friday, December 23, 2005

Graham, the "Coronet" and the Bundle of Thumbs

Graham begs to take another instrument and we finally agree, only after getting him to agree that he will practice the piano first.  We end up buying the other instrument and he must practice every night or no story.  The instrument he has chosen is the coronet.  He hasn't practiced and we've had not story, and it's late.  He goes down to get his coronet and comes into our bedroom in the dark where we are lying in bed to practice.  The coronet looks more like a recorder.  He stands in a shadow in the corner with just a tiny bit of light on him paying his "coronet" recorder.  He is doing this while clasping a bundle of thumbs.  When I see the bundle of thumbs, I am curious and disturbed.  He seems to be collecting them, and has maybe 15 of them tied with twine.  I wake up.

 

It occurs to me that one obvious interpretation is that Graham is "all thumbs."  The thumbs in the dream were not grisly and were quite matter of fact.  But I'm not sure Graham is "all thumbs," especially about music.  Curious.

It could also be about some child or other part of myself.  I am "all thumbs" when it comes to music.

--
I am certain of nothing but the Heart's affections and the truth of the Imagination- John Keats
Mary

No comments: